Charleston Area Historic Buildings
Charleston’s rich history spans back to the 1600’s and the local area is scattered with authentic homes and buildings. The charming downtown area alone is home to a vast array of historical sites. If you are interested in seeing some of these beautiful buildings in person, here are a few that are just a short drive from our property.
- Aiken Rhett House: Take a tour through this very historic house where some of the wealthiest residents of Charleston have resided, along with being named one of the most popular tourist attractions in the area!
- Open Monday – Saturday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sunday, 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. (843) 723-1159
- The Calhoun Mansion: Widely acclaimed as one of the great post Civil War homes, this astonishing mansion will take your breathe away. Being recently featured on A&E’s America Castles show, The Calhoun Mansion is known for it’s Victorian style layout, 35 rooms, wood mouldings, 23 period fireplaces, elaborate chandeliers, and more!
- Open 11:00 am to 5:00 pm, daily. (843) 722-8205
- The Edmondston-Alston House: Overlooking the Charleston Harbor, this classic museum style home has all of the most perfect features to have an unforgettable effect to your Charleston adventure.
- Open Tuesday – Saturday 10:00 am to 4:30 pm; Sunday & Monday 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm. (843) 722-7171
- Old City Market: Established in the 1790s, the market stretches for four city blocks from the architecturally-significant Market Hall. The heart of historic Charleston, Old City Market provides you with activities day and night!
- Open Monday – Sunday 9:30 am to 6:00 pm; night hours vary seasonally; (843) 937-0920
- Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon: One of Charleston’s only public historic buildings since it opened in the 18th century and still remains that way today! Go through a public tour where it highlights what life was like in Charleston during the Colonial and Revolutionary eras.
- Hours of Operation are daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. (843) 727-2165. (888) 763-0448.
- The Powder Magazine: Charleston’s oldest public buildings which has served as a gunpowder magazine and museum since the 1700’s.
- Hours of Operation are Monday through Saturday, 10:00am to 4:00pm. Sunday: 1:00pm to 4:00pm. 843-722-9350