Charleston Area Museums
Looking for a way to escape a rare rainy beach day, or for a fun afternoon activity for the family? If so, venture into Charleston and check out one of the area’s many museums. From historical museums to art museums to museums just for the kids, Charleston offers something for everyone. Check out a few of our favorite area museums below.
- American Military Museum: Filled with tons of military uniforms, equipment, artifacts, and weapons dating back as far as the Revolutionary War all the way through the present day conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Open 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm, daily. (843)-577-7000
- The Charleston Museum: Visit one of the oldest museums in the United States and experience it’s highly praised collections of historical artifacts, decorative art, and two historical Charleston homes.
- Hours of Operation are Monday through Saturday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sundays, 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm. (843) 722-2996
- The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry: The most perfect place for kids 10 and under where they can experience hands-on exhibits like art classes, pirate adventures, children’s garden, and much more!
- Open Tuesday – Saturday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sunday 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm. (843) 853-8962
- The Gibbes Museum of Art: Home to premier collection of over 10,000 pieces of fine art, see the beautiful art pieces primarily of the American works with ties to Charleston and the South.
- Open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm; Wednesday 10:00 am to 8:00 pm (843) 722-2706
- The North Charleston & American LaFrance Fire Museum & Educational Center: Home to over 20 fully restored fire vehicles and rare antique firefighting artifacts, guests have the opportunity to learn about the importance of fire safety and prevention, and be taken through the journey of the advancements of fire service over the centuries!
- Open Monday – Saturday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (843) 740-5550
- Old Slave Mart Museum: Located at one of the few remaining cobblestone roads of Charleston, this museum is the only known known extant buildings used for slave auction in the 1800’s.
- Open Monday – Saturday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. (843) 958-6467
- Patriots Point/ USS Yorktown: One of South Carolina’s most favorited attraction, experience a fleet of National Historic Landmark ships, the Cold War Memorial, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society and more!
- Open 9:00 am to 6:30 pm, daily. (843) 884-2727
- South Carolina Historical Society: South Carolina’s oldest and largest private repository of books, letters, journals, maps, drawings, and photographs revolving around the history of South Carolina.
- Open Monday – Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. (843) 723-3225